Copycat Soft Breadsticks Recipe From That Italian Restaurant We Love by Jan Mostrom
My in-laws love to go to Olive Garden, so whenever we visit we try to take them there. If you've been you know that their breadsticks are so delicious, and it's very hard to just eat one. Now you can make and share these famous breadsticks with your family at home with this copycat Olive Garden breadstick recipe.
For the homemade breadsticks you'll need granulated sugar, active dry yeast, warm water, flour, oil, an egg, salt, butter, garlic salt or garlic powder, and grated Parmesan cheese. After the dough is mixed together, it needs time to rise and requires a little kneading before being baked until golden. The garlic powder or salt is stirred into melted butter and brushed on the hot breadsticks. Sprinkle with a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese and they're ready to be put into that bread basket for serving. You could also sprinkle with a little dried Italian seasoning for more flavor.
Prep Time: 1 1/2 hours
Cook Time: 10 to 12 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (divided)
- 1 package (.25 ounce) active dry yeast (not instant)
- 1 cup warm water (divided)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt or garlic powder
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (fresh is best)
Here's how to make it:
- Dissolve 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar and yeast in 1/2 cup warm water in a bowl. Let it sit about 5 minutes until it becomes foamy. Mix in the flour, oil, egg, salt, remaining sugar and remaining warm water into the foaming yeast mixture until it is smooth. If needed, add more flour to form a soft dough. Flour a work surface. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic, 6 to 8 minutes. (Kneading just means massaging the dough.)
- Add a bit of oil to an oven-safe bowl to cover the bottom and sides. Place dough in the bowl, turning to cover completely with oil. Cover bowl with a damp towel and place in a warm area until dough is doubled in size, about 40 minutes. Or place in a warmed oven on the lowest heat for about 40 minutes.
- Grease a baking sheet. Punch dough down and turn onto a floured work surface. Divide dough into 18 pieces and shape each into a 6-inch rope. Arrange dough pieces on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, about 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Remove cover from dough. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Whisk butter and garlic salt together in a bowl and brush the mixture over each breadstick. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over each breadstick.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.