An Old-fashioned Amish Chicken Pot Pie Recipe for Weekend Baking Therapy by 30Seconds Food
Who doesn't love a good chicken pot pie? We know the Amish make a good ground beef casserole, shipwreck casserole, potato salad, beef barley soup and baked chicken. But just wait until you taste this Amish chicken pot pie recipe!
To make this old-fashioned chicken pot pie recipe you'll need a few ingredients. Here is your shopping list: russet potatoes, carrots, onion, butter, flour, chicken bouillon granules, chicken broth, milk, cooked cubed chicken, frozen peas and a pie crust. This recipe uses a box of refrigerated pie crusts, but you could definitely make your own homemade pie crust.
Serve this chicken dinner with a side salad. That's really all you need to make a complete dinner.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes to 1 hour
Total Time: 55 minutes to 1 hour and 5 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 - 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 box refrigerated pie crusts
- Pie Plate
- Mixing Bowl
- This chicken pot pie recipe can easily be doubled if you feel like sharing or want to freeze a pie for later.
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the potatoes and carrots in boiling, salted water until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add the chicken bouillon granules. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk in the milk and chicken broth until smooth. Cook, stirring, about 2 to 3 minutes or until it thickens.
- Add the chicken, peas, carrots and potatoes. Stir to combine.
- Put the bottom pie crust into a pie plate. Pour in the filling. Top with the second pie crust. Flute the edges to seal. Cut a few slits in the top of the crust to vent.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven for about 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.