Amish Beef Barley Soup Recipe: A Hearty Beef & Barley Soup Recipe From the Amish Country by 30Seconds Food
Full of tender beef and vegetables, this easy Amish beef and barley soup recipe is a hearty and delicious stick-to-your-ribs meal. Serve with fresh bread and butter. If you love Amish recipes, this one just might become a favorite.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 55 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) chicken broth (you could use 1 can chicken broth and 1 can beef broth)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- chopped parsley, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil. Add the meat and cook until browned on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onions, carrots and celery to the pot. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook 30 seconds.
- Pour in the broth, water and barley. Season with salt and pepper. Put the meat back into the pot. Cover and simmer about 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Garnish with parsley.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soup Pots $10 & Up
Pearl Barley $3 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Dried Thyme $3 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Beef Broth $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.