World Autism Month: 10 Facts About Autism By a Former Teacher With Asperger's Syndrome by Ann Marie Patitucci
Chris Bonnello is a former teacher turned public speaker with Asperger's syndrome. And April is World Autism Month.
Here are 10 of the 50 facts about autism he shared on his website AutisticNotWeird.com:
- People affected by autism need support. Not judgment.
- Autism awareness is one thing. Autism acceptance is another.
- You definitely know at least one autistic person. Even if you don’t know you do.
- Autism is not a disease … just like dyslexia isn’t a disease either.
- Autism never "goes away" but the right support can make a whole world of difference.
- If you assume that an autistic person won’t achieve something, it’s pretty much a self-fulfilling prophecy. Believe in them and watch what happens.
- Nonverbal is not the same as having nothing to say.
- Everyone on the autism spectrum is different. Because, you know, we’re people.
- The world gets better for autistic people every time people listen to us, rather than simply talk about us.
- The world needs autistic perspectives. Human progress depends on diversity of thought.
For more about autism awareness, please visit autisticnotweird.com or their Facebook page Autistic Not Weird.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links. The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get inspiration in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Books About Autism $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
For clarification to those not in the know, Asperger's Syndrome is a diagnosis that recently was incorporated into Autism Spectrum Disorder. A person who had the diagnosis of Asperger's may be diagnosed with high functioning Autism now.