Healthy Grain Bowl Recipe With Chickpeas, Kale & Creamy Avocado Dressing by Jan Mostrom
I've shared here before how my husband and I are trying to be purposeful about eating mostly a plant-based diet. As a result, I'm constantly searching for interesting, delicious and easy ways to eat with that healthy eating goal in mind. This chickpea, kale and grain bowl recipe is great not only because it is plant-based, but because you can customize it based on your preferences, and what's in your refrigerator and pantry!
Don't let the longer list of ingredients scare you off from making this nutritious recipe. The ingredients are simple and this recipe is on the table in about 30 minutes. Here's your healthy shopping list for this grain bowl: canned chickpeas, a grain of choice (think quinoa, faro, bulgur or even brown rice), olive oil, carrots, shallots, parsley, an avocado, orange juice, a lemon, tahini, fresh garlic, ground turmeric and crushed red pepper flakes. Not too bad, right?
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked grain (such as bulgur, faro, quinoa, etc.)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry with a paper towel
- 1 1/2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 6 - 8 cups chopped lacinato kale
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced shallots
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste), well stirred
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Lemon Juicer
- Soup Pot
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salt and Pepper
- Food Processor
- I used faro, but feel free to use any grain or pasta you like. Use a gluten-free grain if you'd like this recipe to be gluten-free.
- You could use fresh pepper, broccoli, celery or any vegetable with the carrots or in place of them.
- Don't be shy with crushed red pepper flakes. They can add a lot of flavor without being too hot. Start with a pinch and add more as desired.
- If you don't have kale or prefer a different variety use that or spinach or other greens. Softer greens take less time to break down so just be aware. And it might seem like a lot of greens but they reduce so much it's just the right amount.
Here's how to make it:
- Cook grain according to package directions and set aside.
- While your grain cooks, place a skillet on medium heat with neutral oil. Add drained chickpeas and carrots and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the greens, cover and cook until carrots are soft and greens are wilted, about 2 minutes.
- To make the dressing combine garlic, turmeric, tahini, water, lemon and orange juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, olive oil and avocado in a food processor and pulse to combine. If the mixture is too thick add more water or juice. Taste and adjust salt or add a bit of the crushed red pepper flakes.
- Place grain into a serving bowl. Add shallots, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, to taste, and the chickpea mixture and gently toss. Pour on the grain mixture and toss well to combine. Top with the dressing. Serve warm or at room temperature and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 21.8g
Saturated Fat: 3.5g
Total Carbohydrate: 49.9g
Dietary Fiber: 12.3g
Total Sugars: 3.7g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.