Nutritious Lemon & Ginger Spiced Chicken Soup Recipe Is What You Need by Jan Mostrom
Chicken soup is my go to for comfort food and also when I'm sharing a meal with a sick or injured friend. Recently two dear friends had health issues come up so I made this lemon and ginger spiced chicken soup recipe for them. I love the added lemon and ginger for a fresh taste. Not only are they tasty, but both ginger and lemon have lots of health benefits.
Substitute boxed chicken broth or stock and precooked chicken for a time-saving option. In either case you have a delicious, comforting, healing meal for yourself or friends. Add a warm loaf of homemade bread and this homemade chicken soup is the perfect meal for sharing.
Love chicken soup like I do? Try these chicken soup recipes:
- Classic Homemade Chicken Soup
- Under-the-Weather Chicken Soup
- Lemon Turmeric Chicken Soup
- Lemon Chicken Soup With Broken Noodles
- Creamy Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup
- Healthy Chicken Zoodle Soup
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours (depending on if you cook your chicken)
Total Time: 1 to 2 hours
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 large carrot or 6 - 8 mini carrots
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 - 3 stalks celery
- 1 - 2 garlic cloves
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (or substitute 2 fat shallots or 2 leeks)
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 - 8 large carrots, peeled and sliced (I love the multicolored carrots)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped or grated
- 4 - 8 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- homemade stock (recipe above) or boxed stock
- lemon juice, to taste
- pinch crushed red chili flakes (optional)
- scallions, cilantro or Italian parsley (optional)
- noodles, quinoa or rice to pour soup over (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- To make the broth, place all ingredients in pot and bring to a rolling boil. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for about 1 hour or until the chicken pulls away from the bone.
- Remove chicken from broth and set aside to cool. Strain out cooked vegetables and bay leaf while retaining the broth. When chicken is cooled enough to handle pull chicken off the bone discarding skin and bones. You can pull apart cooked chicken or cut into bite-size pieces.
- To make the soup, while the chicken cooks heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for about 5 minutes or until they are soft. Add ginger, carrots, celery and garlic and sauté for another 5 to 10 minutes or until all vegetables are tender. Set aside until broth is finished.
- When the broth is ready add cooked vegetables and shredded chicken. Simmer for a few minutes and add lemon juice and more salt and pepper, if needed.
- If desired, put your noodles, grains or rice into a bowl and ladle the soup over it. Top with a pinch of chili flakes for a little extra spice and/or the cilantro or parsley.
Note: If you are using boxed broth cook 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts in the broth until done. Shred or cut the chicken and then add the ingredients from above. (You can always just use precooked chicken to save time.)
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soup Pots $10 & Up
Bay Leaves $3 & Up
Chicken Stock $1 & Up
Soup Cookbooks $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.