Under-the-Weather Chicken Soup Recipe: A Hearty & Nutritious Chicken Soup by Donna John
If you're feeling a little under the weather, or just want a bowl of flavorful chicken soup, here's the perfect recipe. This easy chicken soup recipe is full of nutritious vegetables like broccoli, squash, potatoes, carrots and mushrooms.
The broccoli florets cook down and become part of the broth, which makes it not only rich tasting, but colorful. You can swap out or add any vegetable you'd like. Green beans, corn, peas, turnips or winter squash would work well. This chicken and vegetable soup recipe is even better the next day.
Have you ever wondered why we turn to chicken soup when we're not feeling well? Chicken soup is an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, proteins and calories we need when we're sick. The broth is also a great way to get fluids and electrolytes into your body, especially if you're having intestinal and stomach issues.
Feel better and enjoy a bowl of this soup ASAP (sick or not).
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Servings: 10 to 12
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 - 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 crown broccoli florets, cut up
- 4 - 5 red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced or whole mushrooms
- 2 - 3 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon or chicken bouillon granules (I used roasted chicken flavor Better Than Bouillon)
- Morton Nature's Seasons, to taste (or your favorite seasoned salt)
- 1 - 2 cups short pasta, optional (I used rotini pasta)
- parsley flakes (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Put the chicken, onion and celery into a large soup pot. Cover with water and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook at a gently simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes, depending on size of chicken. Remove the chicken to a plate and allow to cool.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and potatoes. Cook until potatoes are almost tender, about 15 minutes.
- Shred the cooled chicken from the bone and return to the pot. Add the zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms and bouillon. Season with Nature's Seasonings, to taste. Continue to cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add some parsley flakes, for more color, if desired. Taste and add more seasonings, if needed.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Better Than Bouillon $3 & Up
Chicken Bouillon Granules $2 & Up
Morton Nature's Seasons $3 & Up
Seasoned Salt $2 & Up
Parsley Flakes $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.