Managing Chronic Illness: Here's Why It Takes a Village & How You Can Help by Glenda Bundy
As it takes a village to raise a child, I believe it takes a village to manage chronic illnesses in our families and communities. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “One in four Americans has multiple chronic conditions, those that last a year or more and require ongoing medical attention or that limit activities of daily living.”
Chronic conditions are associated with high health-care costs, along with increasing out-of-pocket dollars for patients. As a village, we need to take accountability for – and with – our loved ones. Here's how you can help:
- Become educated on the disease process and elect specific individuals to work closely with the health-care team of the affected love one.
- Help the individual focus on activities that will improve the condition.
- Seek support groups in the area.
- If you observe psychological distress or an inability to cope, offer professional counseling and ensure he or she has the resources to follow up.
- If the individual is not following the plan of care, address the underlying reasons and employ additional resources and support.
Let's work together to keep our community healthy.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get inspiration in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Books About Chronic Illness $3 & Up
Chronic Illness Journals $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.