Aromatic Basmati Persian Rice Recipe With Tahdig: A Sacred Recipe Worth Trying by Java Hemmat
Fluffy aromatic basmati Persian rice with crunchy tahdig is a sacred recipe that is enjoyed on a weeknight family dinner and ceremonious on many special occasions. Intention, mindfulness and time are elements to make a perfectly golden and crispy tahdig. Tahdig, meaning "bottom of the pot," is the crispy crust at the bottom of the rice.
As a curious recipe developer, I'm always looking for ways to transform traditional recipes into modern concept so everyone can easily cook and enjoy. This is the only recipe that makes me gasp every time I flip the tahdig, Hope it wows you, too!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Shiraz spice blend or your favorite Middle Eastern spice blend
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, washed and rinsed
- 2 1/4 cups filtered water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons bloomed saffron (optional)
- handful of barberries
- handful of cashews
- dash of sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the ghee. Sauté onion and garlic. Add Shiraz Spice. Blend and bloom for 10 seconds.
- Add rinsed basmati rice and incorporate with the onion and spice mixture. Sprinkle in salt and pour in water. Add saffron, if using. Cover with a lid and cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, add 1/2 tablespoon of ghee to a skillet. Sauté barberries, cashews and sugar for couple of minutes. Open saucepan lid, secure a serving plate on the pan and flip in one motion. Serve the rice and tahdig together. Top with barberries and cashews.
- You can find barberries in Middle Eastern stores.
- To bloom saffron, add couple of ice cubes to a glass and add crushed saffron for 20 to 30 minutes.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Middle Eastern Spice Blends $5 & Up
Basmati Rice $2 & Up
Ghee $5 & Up
Saffron $7 & Up
Barberries $8 & Up
Cashews $5 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.