Mom & Grandma-Approved Sugar Pie Recipe With a Secret Ingredient by Donna John
On the last episode of "This Is Us," a family conflict loosely revolved around the secret ingredient in the family's beloved sugar pie recipe. The actual secret ingredient was not revealed in the episode to the viewers, only to Rebecca and Kate. My resolution? Make this easy sugar pie recipe and decide on your own secret ingredient!
The sugar pie recipe Kate is writing at the end of the show has some wonky ingredients amounts, in my opinion. The dessert recipe below is easy, creamy, sweet (thus the name!) and mom and grandma approved, too. Some options for your "secret ingredient" are suggested below. Shh! We won't tell.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 to 55 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 pie
- 1 9-inch frozen pie shell or your favorite pie crust (try this press-in-the-pan pie crust recipe)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 level cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
Secret Ingredient Options
- ground nutmeg
- ground cinnamon
- ground cardamom
- brandy extract
- rum extract
- almond extract
- bourbon or whiskey
- chai sugar
Here's how to make it:
- Pour the cream, milk and vanilla into a bowl. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add your secret ingredient.
- Gradually add the milk mixture into the flour mixture.
- Spread the butter pieces onto the bottom of the pie crust.
- Pour the batter into the pie shell.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven for about 10 minutes, then carefully stir the filling (do not touch the bottom crust with the spoon!).
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Bake about 30 to 35 minutes or until it jiggles slightly in the center.
- Cool the pie completely before serving. Sprinkle with some cinnamon or nutmeg, if desired. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Pie Plates $8 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Vanilla $4 & Up
Almond Extract $3 & Up
Rum Extract $3 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
Sea Salt $2 & Up
Nutmeg $4 & Up
Cardamom $4 & Up
Brandy Extract $4 & Up
Ground Cinnamon $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.