This Classic Sauerbraten Recipe Is Comfort Food German Style by 30Seconds Food
When many people think of German food, Sauerbraten is often the first dish to come to mind. Sauerbraten is regarded as the national dish of Germany, and is meat that has been marinated and then slow cooked.
Prep Time: 2 days to marinate
Cook Time: 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours
Total Time: 2 days and 4 1/2 hours
Servings: 6 to 8
- 3 pounds beef roast
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 10 cookies gingersnap cookies, crumbled
Here's how to make it:
- Put the roast into a large pot along with the onions, red wine vinegar, water, salt, pepper, cloves and bay leaves. Cover and refrigerate for two days, turning meat often.
- When ready to cook, remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry. Reserve the marinade.
- Sprinkle the flour over the meat to lightly cover. Heat the oil in a large pot. Brown the meat on all sides.
- Add the reserved marinade to the pot. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until roast is tender, 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove meat and allow to rest about 10 minutes.
- Add the gingersnaps to the cooking liquid and cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Slice the beef. Serve with the gravy.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
German Cookbooks $3 & Up
Germany Travel Guides $6 & Up
Gingersnaps $3 & Up
Whole Cloves $4 & Up
Bay Leaves $3 & Up
All-Purpose Flour $2 & Up
Granulated Sugar $3 & Up
Canola Oil $2 & Up
Red Wine Vinegar $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.