Cheesy Spaetzle Casserole Recipe: Käsespätzle With Caramelized Onions Is Classic German Comfort Food by 30Seconds Food
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 75 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
Here's how to make it:
- To make the caramelized onions, heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the onions and cook over low heat, stirring often, until browned and caramelized. Set aside.
- To make the spaetzle, combine the flour and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine the eggs and water. Add the wet to the dry and beat until dough is smooth. Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes. Beat the dough one more time, adding more water, if necessary, to make a batter slightly thinner than a brownie batter. Put the dough into a colander with large holes or a spaetzle maker over a pot of simmering water. Push the dough through the holes and into the water. When dough floats to the top, cook them about 2-3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well. Set aside. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- To make the casserole, rub the butter into a casserole dish, then sprinkle with the breadcrumbs. Combine the spaetzle and onions in a bowl (you can reserve a few for the top, if desired). Stir in the nutmeg and 3/4 cup of the cheese. Pour the mixture into the casserole dish. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven, covered, for about 20 minutes. Uncover and cook until top is browned, about 15 minutes. Serve.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.