The Foundation of Positive Thinking: 5 Steps to Creating Positive Thought Chains by Diana Cole
To keep feeling better in life, we need to have an internal commitment to choosing better thoughts. Starting with one positive thought leads to a positive inner dialogue, and that ultimately leads to feeling good. Positive thoughts bring good feelings. The key is conjuring enough positive thoughts consistently – letting one lead into another to form positive thought chains – to sustain a better feeling.
Here are five steps to creating positive thought chains. The purpose of this exercise is to help you learn to stay in positive thought for as long as possible.
1. Write Down 5 Aspects of Your Life That are Positive
Keep it simple. For example:
- I am a good listener.
- I am a good mom.
- I appreciate my job.
- I am good at staying fit.
- I love my dog.
2. Go to a Place Where You Can Be Alone and Quiet
Sit in your private space, as free of outside noise as possible. Close your eyes and clear your mind by focusing on your breathing – in through the nose, out through the nose.
When you notice that you feel calm, open your eyes and say out loud the five positive points you wrote earlier. Repeat until you start to feel a momentum building – until you feel like you are ready to attach more positive thoughts.
3. Start to Notice Your Surroundings and Say Out Loud What You Perceive As Positive
Continue to call everything out that you like, everything that looks good, everything that feels good. Move from one positive aspect to the next, slowly and fully absorbing each point, each thought. For example:
- I like the feel of my comforter under my hands.
- I like the light coming through the window.
- I love that I can see trees outside my window.
- The sun feels warm on my skin.
- The room smells fresh.
- I am blessed to have a home here.
- I hear quiet in the house.
- I feel at peace in this moment.
- I feel appreciation for where I am.
- I feel happy about what I have created.
4. Stay in This Place of Positivity Where You're Only Thinking Positive Thoughts for As Long As Possible
If a negative thought creeps in, start again. Your goal is to hold positive thought for at least three minutes. For the most transformative change, work up to 10 minutes daily.
5. Notice How You Feel After Staying in That Positive Thought Space As Long As Possible
Observe your renewed sense of happiness, and be proud of yourself!
I became so happy I almost wanted to cry. I was able to become present in my reality and feel good, feel appreciation, feel happy. I found myself smiling as I continued from one thought to the next.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Positivity Journals $6 & Up
Positivity Jars $9 & Up
Positive Sigh Décor $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.