Postpartum Depression: How to Support a New Mom Who Is Struggling With PPD by Dr. Sarah Allen
Having a baby is a huge life transition and for one in seven new moms it can lead to postpartum depression (PPD). Even if your friend appears to be coping well after having a baby, please offer some support as you can’t really tell how someone is feeling unless you ask.
- Be Specific – Don’t leave an offer of help open-ended, be more specific.
- Sit With Her – It can be very isolating being at home with a baby and a depressed mom often finds it difficult to get up the effort to socialize so a low-key, one-on-one chat, can be very supportive.
- Give Her Alone Time – Once she feels comfortable leaving her baby for a while, offer to stay with the baby while she does something for herself.
- Encourage Her to Talk – Encourage your friend to talk about how she feels without judgement or advice.
- Validate the Things She Does Well – When someone is not coping they focus on all the things they feel they have done badly and tend to ignore the things they are doing well.
- Let Her Know She Is Not Alone – Just letting her know you are right there with her and will give her whatever support she needs will be a huge comfort.
Get more tips on postpartum depression.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.