Crisp & Juicy Baked Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma Recipe Is Fantastic by Donna John
Shawarma is a dish that originated in the Ottoman Empire (modern-day Turkey) in the 18th or 19th century. Shawarma means "turning" in Arabic, which makes sense because traditional shawarma is stacked and cooked on a rotisserie. This delicious chicken shawarma recipe uses an easier cooking method that's more accessible to us everyday home cooks: baking. This sheet pan chicken recipe was simple to prep and turned out amazing. The chicken dinner is full of Middle Eastern spices, juicy and can be eaten in so many different ways.
To make this gluten-free baked chicken shawarma recipe you will need boneless, skinless chicken thighs, a red onion, lemons for juicing, olive oil, fresh garlic, sea salt, black pepper, ground cumin, paprika, ground turmeric and optional crushed red pepper flakes for a little kick. The chicken is marinated in the oil, juice and spices before being baked on a sheet pan. You can take an optional step of slicing and crisping the chicken up in a skillet.
The chicken can be served whole with the onions over rice, quinoa or any grain. You could also slice it up and serve it with naan or pita bread, stuff it into a tortilla for a wrap or use it in a salad. This chicken is packed with flavor and will be on dinner repeat. I served mine over a quinoa/seed mix with roasted cauliflower and a garden salad. The chicken would be wonderful served with tzatziki, cucumbers and pickled red onions.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Prep Time: 5 minutes plus time to marinate
Cook Time: 30 to 40 minutes
Total Time: 35 to 45 minutes
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika (I used sweet Hungarian paprika)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Parsley Flakes
- Lemon Juicer
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Baking Sheet
- Mixing Bowl
- Parchment Paper
- Food Storage Bags
- Aluminum Foil
- Garlic Press
- Meal Prep Containers
- I covered my baking sheet with parchment paper for easier cleanup. You also could use aluminum foil.
- I put the spent lemons into the marinade too, and removed them when adding the onion.
- I preferred the chicken crisped up in the skillet, but my husband liked it served whole, skipping that step. (It's great either way!)
- I sprinkled the cooked chicken with some parsley flakes for a little color. You could also use fresh parsley.
- This chicken is a great meal prep recipe. Put it into meal prep containers with your favorite sides.
Here's how to make it:
- Put all the marinade ingredients into a plastic zipper bag or shallow baking dish.
- Stir to combine. Add the chicken and make sure it's thoroughly coated in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 12.
- Right before cooking, toss the onion in the marinade to coat.
- Put the chicken and onion in a single layer onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until chicken is browned and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. It is ready to eat now, or you can take an extra step for crispier chicken.
- Let the chicken rest for a couple minutes, then slice it into pieces and cook in a little olive oil in a skillet until it crisps up.
- Serve the chicken whole or sliced with the onions as desired.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 29.5g
Saturated Fat: 4.7g
Total Carbohydrate: 10.1g
Dietary Fiber: 2.7g
Total Sugars: 2.5g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.