Tasty Lasagna Rolls Recipe With Sweet Potatoes & Kale: Vegetarian Done Right by Jan Mostrom
Who doesn't love lasagna rolls? This easy plant-based, vegetarian dinner recipe combines sweet potato, ricotta and kale rolled and topped with marinara to make the most delicious combination of tastes that everyone will love. If you want you can also make with gluten-free noodles or vegan ricotta for any dietary requests in the house.
Start by roasting sweet potato cubes in the oven until tender. Next, steam your kale. Boiled lasagna noodles are spread with ricotta cheese, the kale and sweet potatoes, and rolled up. Place the lasagna rolls on a bed or marinara, then top with more marinara sauce. Bake until the lasagna roll-ups are hot and bubbly.
You could add some shredded cheese to the top like mozzarella or freshly grated Parmesan cheese. If you're not a fan of kale, use fresh spinach. Serve these delicious lasagna rolls for dinner with your favorite side dishes. We always like a loaf of fresh homemade bread (try my no-knead French bread) and a salad.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 to 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, washed and cut into small cubes (I keep skin on)
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 8 - 10 kale leaves, torn with stems removed (or substitute fresh spinach)
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 23-ounce jars marinara sauce
- 12 ounces ricotta (whole or part skim)
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Put sweet potato cubes onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven for 30 minutes or until tender and brown.
- Fill a pot with 1 inch of water, insert steamer basket or strainer. Add kale, cover and steam for about 1 minute until just wilted. Remove kale onto paper or kitchen towel and squeeze out extra water. If you don't have a steamer basket just use a strainer and cover.
- Fill a large pot with water add generous dash of salt and bring to a boil. Stack lasagna noodles criss-cross into water to avoid sticking. Cook for about half the recommended time until they are pliable but not too soft of mushy (you want to roll them but not have them fall apart). Drain noodles.
- Spread a small layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Use parchment paper to line a large cookie sheet and lay six noodles down on it. Brush the remaining noodles with oil to prevent them from sticking together. Spread half the ricotta evenly over the six noodles.
- Add half the kale and half the sweet potatoes. If desired, sprinkle with a few crushed red pepper flakes.
- Roll up. Place in the baking dish seam side down. Repeat with the last six noodles.
- Cover the top of the lasagna roll-ups with the remaining marinara sauce.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until bubbly. If it looks dry just add some more marinara on top.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.