White Potato & Sweet Potato Mash Recipe: This Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe Is Unique & Delicious by Elisa Schmitz
Some people in my family like regular mashed potatoes, while others prefer sweet potatoes. For the holidays this year, I decided to split the difference and try to please everyone by making mashed potatoes that are half regular potatoes and half sweet potatoes, and I got a thumbs up from both camps.
This creamy mashed potatoes recipe gets a boost of nutrition from the sweet potatoes. The creaminess factor gets amplified by the ricotta cheese. There’s a touch of sweet spice in this recipe, thanks to the brown sugar and freshly grated ginger.
This yummy mashed potato recipe is so easy and delicious, it may become a regular feature at our holiday dinner table. I served it with our holiday ham, but it would work just as well with turkey or prime rib.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 4 - 6 ounces ricotta cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Here’s how to make it:
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, place the potatoes and sweet potatoes and add enough water to cover them. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, then cook until soft and crumbly, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- In the pot, mash the potatoes to a smooth consistency.
- To the potatoes, add the milk, ricotta cheese and butter. Stir to blend until creamy. Add the brown sugar, ginger, salt and pepper into the mashed potatoes until all is thoroughly combined.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Ground Ginger $4 & Up
Potato Masher $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.