Mexican Tofu Recipe With Vegetable Rice Is a Winner Winner Vegan Dinner by Melissa Vickers
I recently posted a recipe for slow-cooker Mexican chicken and vegetable rice that combined lots of spices and tender chicken and rice cooked in the resulting sauce. Perhaps inspired by my vegan daughter, I got to wondering how it might play out with tofu rather than chicken.
I adapted the tofu recipe for a quicker cooking (no long time in the slow cooker) and used a package of pre-cooked rice. Sure enough, the spice blend was just as tasty on the tofu! As with the original recipe, make it as hot and spicy as you dare, and pick and choose what vegetables you put in the rice.
Cuisine: Mexican / American
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 package (14 ounces) extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (if you use mild salsa and no chipotle chili pepper, or 4 tablespoons if you use medium salsa and/or chipotle)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (optional or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 cup mild salsa (or medium if you like spicy)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion.
- 1 zucchini, cut into half moons
- 1 package Uncle Bens Ready Rice (pick your favorite flavor, or cook your own)
Here’s how to make it:
- Blend all spices in a bowl and mix with cubed tofu.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil and add tofu. Cook 5 minutes or so until heated through. Remove tofu to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the vegetables and cook until they start to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salsa, chilies and liquid smoke. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and cook 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add tofu back in and toss. Serve mixture over rice. Top with hot sauce if you dare, or even add some shredded cheese.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Uncle Ben's Ready Rice $3 & Up
Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Chili Powder $2 & Up
Fire-roasted Tomatoes $2 & Up
Salsa $2 & Up
Chopped Green Chiles $2 & Up
Liquid Smoke $3 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.