Quick Bánh Xèo Recipe: A Crispy Vietnamese Crepe Recipe With Shrimp by 30Seconds Food
Bánh xéo (bahn SAY-oh) is a crispy rice crepe that's a popular street food in Vietnam. The crepe is made with rice flour, water or another liquid, and ground turmeric. This tasty recipe is also called a Vietnamese crepe.
Serve these thin, hot crepes with lettuce leaves for wrapping, fresh herbs and nuoc cham dipping sauce. They make a delightful lunch, light dinner or appetizer. This bánh xéo recipe is made with water and coconut milk, so it will have a richer taste.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- mung bean sprouts
- lettuce leaves and/or fresh herbs, for serving
Here's how to make it:
- Whisk together the rice flour, sugar, salt and turmeric in a bowl. Add the coconut milk and water and stir until it's a thin crepe batter. (If you have time, refrigerate the batter for about an hour before using.)
- To make the filling, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for about 1 minute. Add the shrimp and continue to cook until the shrimp are cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the fish sauce. Pour the mixture into a bowl.
- Clean the skillet and add 1 teaspoon of oil over medium heat. Stir the batter and pour about a 1/2 cup into the skillet. Swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Put three or four shrimp onto half of the crepe, then add some bean sprouts. Cook until batter is just set, about 1 minute. Fold the crepe over and remove to a plate. Repeat with remaining crepes. (Keep the crepes warm while cooking by placing into a 200-degree F oven.)
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.