Easiest Homemade Pie Crust Recipe Ever From a Seasoned Baker by Ann Marie Patitucci
Intimidated by making your own pie crust? Don’t be! A member of our 30Seconds community, Khristian Grindle, shared her pie crust recipe with us. We’re thrilled to be able to share it with you. Even if you’re never attempted homemade crust before, you can do it with this recipe.
The most traditional pie crust is made with butter. That can take some practice to master, because if you handle it too much it will end up too tough. A more forgiving pie crust is one that is made with shortening, like this recipe, because shortening has a higher melting point than butter, so it's easy to incorporate into the dough and roll out. No food processor needed. You’ve got this!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes (approximately)
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 1 pie crust
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups shortening
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
Here's how to make it:
- Using a pastry blender or your hands, cut in the flour, salt and shortening.
- Beat the egg with a fork. Add water and vinegar to egg. Add to the flour mixture.
- Once you’re ready to roll out your dough, lightly flour your surface and rolling pin.
Here's how to roll out the dough:
- Gently pack the dough into a ball.
- Using your rolling pin, apply even pressure and gently roll it from the center out. To prevent sticking, lift your dough and flour your surface and the top of the dough as needed. It’s best to roll the dough out to about 12 inches in diameter. This is the ideal size for a 9-inch pie plate, so you have a little overhang and have enough dough to decorate the edges, if you like. (Pro tip: Use a ruler to measure the dough and make sure it’s the right size.)
- Cut off the excess, leaving about 1 inch of overhang. Then, just fold the overhang under and decorate the edges, if you like.
Here's how to bake it:
- Bake at 400 degrees F until crust is golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Note that ovens vary.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Rolling Pins $6 & Up
Pastry Blender $5 & Up
Flour $3 & Up
Shortening $3 & Up
Vinegar $2 & Up
Pie Plates $8 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.