Easy Amish Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup Recipe Hits the Spot by 30Seconds Food
It's soup season! There may be nothing more comforting than a bowl of chicken and rice soup. In this simple Amish recipe, chicken and rice are cooked in a creamy broth for a comforting, satisfying, warming dinner.
The simple Pennsylvania Dutch soup recipe is made with celery, onion, a wild rice blend, chicken bouillon granules, chicken broth, butter, flour, shredded cooked chicken and milk. The soup gently simmers on the stovetop for about an hour before it is ready to be ladled into soup bowls and served.
This easy, creamy Amish chicken and rice soup recipe hits the spot on a cool night with a big hunk of crusty bread on the side. Try this four-ingredient no-knead French bread, traditional Amish white bread or three-ingredient artisan bread.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups wild rice blend or brown rice
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granulates
- 1 box (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 - 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 6 cups milk (divided)
- Store the soup in an airtight container for up to three days in the refrigerator.
- You can use rotisserie chicken in this recipe if you don't have leftover chicken.
Here's how to make it:
- Put the celery, onion, rice, bouillon, broth and water into a large soup pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until the rice has absorbed almost all the liquid. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepot. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring. Slowly pour in 4 cups of the milk and whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into the rice. Stir.
- Pour in the remaining 2 cups of milk. Simmer gently about 30 minutes, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 29.2g
Saturated Fat: 17.3g
Total Carbohydrate: 56.1g
Dietary Fiber: 2.6g
Total Sugars: 9.2g
Vitamin D: 17mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.