Easy Pita Bread Recipe: A Step-by-Step Guide to Making Hot, Fresh Pita Bread at Home by 30Seconds Food
Pita bread can easily be made at home. Really! This easy pita bread recipe takes a little time, but the steps are simple. Stuff the fresh pita bread with sandwich fillings or drizzle with olive oil and fresh parsley. (Your next challenge is making this 2-ingredient naan bread.)
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Prep Time: 3 1/2 hours
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours and 40 minutes
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package active dry active yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (approximately)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Here's how to make it:
- Put the water, sugar, yeast and 1 cup of the flour into the bowl of a stand mixer. Let it sit until it bubbles, about 15 minutes.
- After it bubbles, add the olive oil, salt and 1 1/2 cups more flour. Mix on low using the dough hook until it is soft and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. If this doesn't happen, add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cups more flour and continue to mix.
- Remove the dough and knead for about 5 minutes on a floured work surface.
- Put the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with a towel and let it rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and put it onto a floured work surface. Cut the dough into 8 even pieces. Roll the dough into balls. Cover and allow them to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Roll the balls with a rolling pin into round pitas, about 1/4-inch thick. Let the pitas rest about 20 minutes.
- To cook, oil a skillet with olive oil. Put the pita into the skillet over medium-high heat and cook until it begins to puff up, about 2 minutes. Flip them over and cook about 2 minutes more.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Active Dry Yeast $4 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
Granulated Sugar $3 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Skillets $10 & Up
Stand Mixers $60 & Up
Rolling Pins $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.