Instant Pot™ Red Lentil Dal Recipe With Rice: A Quick, Healthy & Delicious Indian Lentil Dal Recipe by Paula Shoyer
Prep Time: 24 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes plus 13 minutes to pressure cook
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or other oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into small dice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more for more kick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped, more for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Press Saute and when the display reads “Hot,” add the coconut oil to the inner pot. Add the onions, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes, cumin, coriander, and turmeric and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Press Cancel. Rinse the lentils and dump them into the pot. Break up the wet lentils if they stick together. Add the water, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper and cilantro and stir.
- Place the steam rack on top of the dal. Place the rice, water, and salt into a 6- or 7-inch round pan and stir.
- Wrap the bottom of the pan with aluminum foil so that the turmeric does not stain your pan. Create an aluminum foil sling. Place the pan on the foil and lift up the sides to insert the pan on top of the steam rack.
- Secure the lid, ensuring that the steam release handle is in the Sealing position. Press the Pressure Cook button and set the cooking time for 6 minutes. When the cooking time is complete, let sit for 10 minutes to naturally release the pressure. Turn the steam release handle to the Venting position to release any remaining pressure.
This recipe is from The Instant Pot® Kosher Cookbook: 100 Recipes to Nourish Body and Soul by Paula Shoyer.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Instant Pot™ $60 & Up
Red Lentils $3 & Up
Coconut Oil $4 & Up
Ground Cumin $2 & Up
Ground Coriander $3 & Up
Ground Turmeric $3 & Up
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.