20-Minute King Ranch Casserole Recipe: The Famous Texas Casserole Got a Makeover by Donna John
Growing up in Texas, king ranch casserole was always a favorite. But when it's just the two of you, this Mexican casserole recipe can be overwhelming. Most king ranch casseroles are huge (layered in a 13x9-inch pan) and loaded with cans of cream of chicken soup.
Here's my version of a lighter, more manageable size king ranch casserole. It'll still feed a family, but we have leftovers for one night instead of for a whole week. And no long baking time! The chicken casserole is ready in about 20 minutes.
The easy king ranch casserole is made with onion, red bell pepper, poblano pepper, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, chicken broth, flour, cream cheese (adds the creaminess with the canned soup), shredded chicken, tomatoes with green chiles, corn tortillas, cheese and cilantro. The ingredients cook on the stovetop in a skillet instead of baking in the oven like the traditional recipe. This lighter version does not lack in flavor!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 - 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I used chicken breast)
- 1 can (10 ounces) tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 4 corn tortillas, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 - 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- fresh chopped cilantro
- You can use dark or white chicken meat for this casserole.
- Use mild, original or hot tomatoes with green chiles based on your heat preference.
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof skillet or cast iron skillet. Add the onion, red bell pepper, poblano pepper and jalapeno. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in the broth and cook another minute.
- Add the cream cheese and cook until melted, then add the cooked chicken, tomatoes and green chiles and tortilla pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with the shredded cheese.
- Put the skillet under a preheated broiler and cook just until the cheese melts. Sprinkle with the cilantro.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.