20-Minute Cajun Shrimp & Grits Recipe: Amazing New Orleans Flavors Fast by 30Seconds Food
Shrimp and grits is a combination made in Cajun heaven. Think you don't like grits? Just wait until you add cheese and butter. It's a game changer.
Quick-cooking grits are cooked on the stovetop then cheddar cheese and butter is stirred in. Don't forget to season those grits with salt and pepper. The shrimp are cooked in the bacon grease (yes!), then garlic and Cajun seasoning are cooked in. Done! Serve the flavorful pan-seared shrimp over the cheesy grits. Garnish with some chopped green onions.
Serve this easy shrimp and grits recipe for dinner with a salad and a tall glass of iced tea. Or take it up a notch with a hurricane cocktail made famous in New Orleans.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- chopped green onions or chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Bring the water to a boil in a small pot. Add a little salt, and then pour in the grits. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until thick, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and butter. Cover and set aside.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to a paper towel. To the bacon grease, add the shrimp and cook about 3 minutes, or until they turn pink. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Stir in the Cajun seasoning.
- To serve, spoon grits into individual serving bowls. Top with the shrimp and garnish with chopped green onions, parsley and the reserved bacon, if desired. Serve with a bottle of Tabasco sauce.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like
Cajun Cookbooks $4 & Up
Tabasco Sauce $3 & Up
Quick-Cooking Grits $3 & Up
Cajun Seasoning $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.