Buckwheat Breakfast Bowl Recipe Is a Healthy, Gluten-free Breakfast by Mareya Ibrahim
In Egypt, we didn’t have boxed cereal, so this was our morning wake-up call. There was nothing better than the smell of the buckwheat simmering, coconut and cinnamon wafting through the air.
Despite the name, there’s no wheat in here, so it’s gluten-free. It’s also referred to as groats. This comes together in a flash if you precook the buckwheat in the rice cooker, and the best part is, you can eat it hot or cold.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 to 50 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked buckwheat, rinsed
- 2 cups homemade almond milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, crushed
- ground cinnamon
Here's how to make it:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the buckwheat and 2 cups water and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, bring the milk to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the cooked buckwheat, cinnamon and dates. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the milk has somewhat reduced and the mixture has thickened.
- For each serving, scoop 1/2 cup of the steeped buckwheat into a bowl and pour 1/4 cup of the milk over it. Top with a spoonful of shredded coconut, some currants, walnuts and a pinch of cinnamon. Delish-ness! Makes four 1/2-cup servings.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
The Clean Eating Handbook: 31 Essential Rules to Health, Wellness, and a Fabulously Fit Life (Kindle) Free
Rice Cookers $15 & Up
Buckwheat $4 & Up
Almond Milk $3 & Up
Ground Cinnamon $2 & Up
Dates $4 & Up
Unsweetened Shredded Coconut $3 & Up
Dried Currants $5 & Up
Walnuts $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.