Ooey, Gooey Pecan Pie Surprise Bars Recipe Is Like Pecan Pie But Better by Kathy Widenhouse
Pecan pie surprise bars taste just like pecan pie, but may be even easier to make. And these yummy pecan cookie bars are portable, so you can bring them with you as a fun snack, or give them away as gifts.
The secret to this delicious pecan pie dessert recipe's simplicity is using a box of yellow cake mix to start. The other ingredients include butter, eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and pecans. It all bakes up into an incredible pecan dessert recipe that just can't be beat for ease and taste!
This cookie recipe is not only a winner when it comes to simplicity, but also in nationwide popularity. It won the Grand Prize in the iconic Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest. Want to make them even more decadent? Add in some chocolate chips!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 to 55 minutes
Total Time: 60 to 70 minutes
- 1 box (16 to 18 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- reserved 2/3 cup dry cake mix
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- You could add a cup of chocolate chips to make these cookie bars even more decadent.
- This recipe works with gluten-free cake mix, if you want a gluten-free version.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Here's how you make it:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13x9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Measure and reserve 2/3 cup of the dry cake mix to use for the filling.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on low speed, mix together the remaining dry cake mix, butter and egg until well blended. Press the base mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake the cookie base for 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl using an electric mixer on low speed, beat together the reserved 2/3 cup dry cake mix, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and 3 eggs until ingredients are combined and well moistened. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat the filling mixture for 1 minute.
- Pour the filling mixture over the warm cookie base. Sprinkle pecans evenly over the surface of the filling.
- Bake the bars for 30 to 35 minutes longer or until filling is set. Remove bars from the oven. Allow bars to cool completely on a wire rack, about 45 minutes, then cut into bars. Store bars in an airtight container, with waxed paper in between layers, in the refrigerator.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.