Editor's Letter: What "Become the Fire" Means (Plus What's Trending On 30Seconds This Week) by Elisa Schmitz, 30Seconds
Since last week's announcement about my upcoming book, Become the Fire, I've been asked what the book is about. At the heart of it, the book is a set of mindset shifts that take you from feeling overwhelmed and "burned" by life's chaos to not only overcoming it, but also leveraging it for success.
We all experience chaos, challenges, friction – whatever you want to call it – in our lives. Perhaps the easiest way to say it is, “shit happens,” and it happens to all of us in some way or another. While it shows up in our lives in unique and personal ways – racism, ageism, sexism, abuse, illness, disease, disability, divorce, disconnection, inequality, injustice and more – everyone deals with it.
When you’re an "outsider," though, and when chaos keeps coming at you from every direction, you develop certain skills – such as heightened situational awareness. Not only can you read the room (or the street or the person or the threat or the opportunity) faster and more accurately than other people, you also may see things other people don’t see. This gives you the type of vision that allows you, ultimately, to see what’s around the bend – an incredible strength. If you're an outsider, you are likely already a visionary, though you may need to exercise that muscle a bit before you’re able to fully use it. Become the Fire will help you build that muscle.
I have a code word for that chaos, challenge, friction, shit. I call it fire. So what does this mean – become the fire?
It means not waiting for a lucky break, but instead making your own luck by preparing for and creating opportunities.
It means not focusing on what you don’t have or can’t do, but instead leveraging what you do have and what you can do.
It means that instead of letting the fire burn you, you harness the flames within and use them as opportunities to grow stronger, wiser, braver and more resilient.
Becoming the fire doesn’t mean you won’t have embers in your life. In fact, they will likely always be there. Rather, it’s about seeing the fire as fuel to propel your success, because it can.
Here's What's Trending On 30Seconds This Week
- Pecan Pie Surprise Bars Recipe: This Easy Pecan Cookie Bars Recipe Is Like Pecan Pie But Easier
- Kids Have Back-to-School Anxiety? Here Are Tips for Parents to Ease the Jitters
- 2-Ingredient Lemon Granita Recipe: This Easy Lemon Ice Recipe Is So Light & Refreshing
- Back-to-School Anxiety: How "The Kissing Hand" Helps Ease Separation Anxiety
- Amish Beef Barley Soup Recipe: A Hearty Beef & Barley Soup Recipe From the Amish Country
- Back-to-School Coloring Pages: Fun & Free School-Themed Coloring Pages for Kids
- Pennsylvania Dutch Shoofly Pie Recipe: This Amish Shoofly Pie Recipe Is Sweet Old-Fashioned Goodness
- Is Your Child Nervous About Returning to School? 6 Tips to Help With Back-to-School Anxiety
- Drool-Worthy Grilled Flank Steak Recipe: This Flank Steak Is Soaked In Honey, Garlic, Rosemary & Olive Oil
- How to Parent Through Panic Attacks: Ways to Help Avoid & Stop Panic Attacks in Kids
- Best Taco Chicken Dip Recipe: We Bet This Baked Taco Chicken Dip Recipe Beats Your Buffalo Chicken Dip
Want to Contribute?
If you have some inspiration you'd like to share, we invite you to join our tribe and become a 30Seconds contributor. On 30Seconds, we realize that time is your most precious resource, and we’ll help you make the most of it. We look forward to having you join our thriving community.
Want to Work With Us?
We work with companies we feel good about. To learn more, get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.