Have a Chronic Illness & Run a Business or Organization? 11 Things That Help Me Cope! by Raquel Masco
4 years ago
How can we lead or run our organizations and companies while living with chronic illness? Here are some things that help me that you may find useful:
- Prayer and meditation.
- Slow everything down and focus on your breath.
- Take time for your needs.
- Rest your body.
- Rest your mind.
- Say no to things that aren’t relevant.
- Fight and advocate for you.
- Prioritize your work and tasks. I make to-do lists and work to be productive and effective.
- Develop your leaders. I have learned to delegate responsibilities to the person who is right for the job by observing my staff.
- Take the pressure off. If tasks are not completed by the end of the day (if not on a deadline) we table it until the next day. Changing our office hours to a later start time has made an enormous difference.
- Take control of your health care. Take your meds as prescribed. Eat as healthy as you can. Go to bed and get the rest you need. (I have to repeat this one to myself.) Be open and honest with your health care about what is going with you and your health. Journal pain and other symptoms.
Make these tips work for you in the context of what you do.