10 Facts About Autism By a Former Teacher With Asperger Syndrome by Ann Marie Gardinier Halstead
11 months ago
Chris Bonnello is a former teacher turned public speaker with Asperger syndrome. Here are 10 of the 50 facts about autism he shared on his site AutisticNotWeird.com:
- People affected by autism need support. Not judgment.
- Autism awareness is one thing. Autism acceptance is another.
- You definitely know at least one autistic person. Even if you don’t know you do.
- Autism is not a disease … Just like dyslexia isn’t a disease either.
- Autism never "goes away" but the right support can make a whole world of difference.
- If you assume that an autistic person won’t achieve something, it’s pretty much a self-fulfilling prophecy. Believe in them and watch what happens.
- Nonverbal is not the same as having nothing to say.
- Everyone on the autism spectrum is different. Because, you know, we’re people.
- The world gets better for autistic people every time people listen to us, rather than simply talk about us.
- The world needs autistic perspectives. Human progress depends on diversity of thought.