Southwest Black Bean Quinoa Casserole Recipe for the Vegetarian Dinner Win by Jan Mostrom
Need inspiration for dinner? I needed an easy dinner last week and found inspiration with this tasty black bean quinoa recipe. I can never resist a new way to prepare quinoa, especially when the recipe is plant-based and full of fiber and protein.
Quinoa is such a great base for a recipe because it is naturally gluten-free and contains a good amount of protein as compared to other grains Here is all you need to make this southwest casserole for dinner tonight: quinoa, salt, oil, onion, garlic, corn, poblano or jalapeño pepper, chili powder, ground cumin, black beans, cheese and optional toppings like sour cream, salsa, pico de gallo, fresh cilantro and/or tortilla chips.
This vegetarian casserole recipe is on the table in about 30 minutes. Make it part of your healthy eating plan right now!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 poblano or 1/2 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar, mozzarella or other cheese (divided)
- chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- salsa or pico de gallo, for serving (optional)
- sour cream, for topping (optional)
- tortilla chips, for serving (optional)
- I used half of a large seeded jalapeño pepper, which has a bit more heat than a poblano. Remember the seeds carry much of the heat in these peppers.
- Any cheese works in this recipe, but if it's not the sharp cheddar you might want a bit more salt.
- You could serve this as a side dish with your favorite protein.
Here's how to make it:
- Put quinoa, a pinch of salt and water on the stove on high. Cook according to package directions. When finished turn off heat and set aside.
- While the quinoa cooks place a large oven-safe skillet on the stove on medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it's soft, about 4 minutes. Add your minced garlic and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add pepper, tomato, corn, chili powder, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Add beans, cooked quinoa and 3/4 cup cheese and mix well.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Place in oven and bake at 400 degrees F until the cheese is melted and brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve hot with a sprinkle of salsa, sour cream, salt and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 13.2g
Saturated Fat: 4.7g
Total Carbohydrate: 36.7g
Dietary Fiber: 5.9g
Total Sugars: 3.1g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.