Quick One-Pan Chicken Recipe With Cream Spinach: Ready in 30 Minutes by Donna John
My husband and I are trying to eat healthier. We love chicken breast for dinner, and I really love a good creamed spinach. A recipe from Ellie Krieger, a registered dietitian and nutritionist, that combined both caught my attention. This is a modified version of her basil cream spinach and chicken skillet recipe.
Krieger's one-pan chicken recipe called for a lot of fresh basil leaves. While I love basil ( basil pesto is my jam!), for some reason I didn't think it needed to be in creamed spinach. She also used low-fat milk, which makes it healthier than my version. I didn't have low-fat milk, so I used half and half. Her recipe was also for four servings, but I cut it in half because it's just the two of us. This is a delicious recipe that's quick to make, has a few wholesome ingredients and fills you up.
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are seasoned lightly with salt and black pepper before being cooked in a little olive oil until golden brown and cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate while you make the creamed spinach. Cook the onion, green onion (this was my addition and not in the original recipe) and garlic in the pan drippings. Add the frozen spinach (you could use fresh) and a mixture of half and half and flour. Cook until it thickens, season with salt and pepper, add the freshly grated Parmesan and nutmeg and it's done. Put the chicken back to heat for a minute, and it is ready to be served.
This one-pan dinner cooks in about 15 minutes, depending on thickness of chicken breasts. If you want to add the basil, stir it in with the spinach. Serve with your favorite healthy side dishes. I served mine with a salad. You could easily double this recipe to serve four.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 to 30 minutes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/3 cups half and half, milk or evaporated milk (original recipe called for low-fat milk)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 - 3 green onions, chopped (optional)
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- dash of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Here's how to make it:
- Whisk the half and half and flour together in a bowl. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet (large if doubling the recipe) and cook the chicken breasts until golden on both sides and cooked through, about 10 minutes (this will depend on thickness and size of the chicken breasts). Remove to a plate.
- Add the onion and green onions, if using, and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the spinach and stir to break it up.
- Stir the milk-flour mixture again, then pour into the skillet.
- Cook, stirring often, until it thickens. Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Put the chicken back into the pan to heat through.
- Spoon the creamed spinach onto plates and top with a chicken breast. Sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.