Easy Tilapia Recipe: Chef Ellie Krieger's Healthy Tilapia Milanese Recipe Is Registered Dietitian Recommended by 30Seconds Food
"Tilapia is so clean tasting and so mild that really even people who don’t think they like fish, they like tilapia," says Ellie Krieger, registered dietitian and host of Ellie's Real Good Food. “So it’s one of those fish that’s great to serve to kids, great to serve to grownups that are not sure about fish – this is a great introduction.”
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 22 minutes
Total Time: 32 minutes
Servings: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet and about 1 cup of salad)
- 1 1/2 cups dried whole grain breadcrumbs (see note)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, finely mined
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tilapia fillets (about 1 1/2 pounds), preferably lake grown tilapia
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- lemon wedges, for serving
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the breadcrumbs, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil, the garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium skillet. Turn the heat to medium-high and toast, stirring constantly, until the mixture is a crispy, fragrant and a deep shade of brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl. Place the flour on a plate. Dip each of the tilapia fillets first in the flour (shaking off any excess) then in the egg, and finally in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the crumbs into the fish a bit to adhere. Place the breaded fillets on a baking sheet and bake until they flake easily with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the fish cooks, in a medium bowl, toss the arugula and tomatoes with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, the lemon juice and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Serve the fish topped with the arugula salad, garnished with lemon wedges.
Note: Homemade breadcrumbs are highly recommended. To make them, remove and discard the crusts from 3 pieces of whole grain sandwich bread. Pulse the bread in a food processor into a fine crumb. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes in a 350 degree F oven, until lightly browned and crisped. This will yield about 1 1/2 cups. Crumbs may be made two weeks ahead and stored in the refrigerator, or longer in the freezer. Alternatively, you can use store-bought whole grain panko breadcrumbs.
Per serving: Calories 350, Total Fat 16g; (Sat Fat 3g, Mono Fat 10g, Poly Fat2 g); Protein 14g; Carb 12g; Fiber 2g; Cholesterol 155mg; Sodium 470mg
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Skillets $10 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.