Mediterranean Hasselback Chicken Casserole Recipe: A Fresh & Colorful Way to Casserole by 30Seconds Food
Mediterranean flavors shine in this easy Greek hasselback chicken casserole recipe! Unlike heavier casserole recipes, simple, healthy, fresh and wholesome ingredients combine to make a lemony, cheesy chicken dinner in no time.
The casserole starts by cutting slits into the chicken breasts with a sharp knife. Leave about a 1/2 inch uncut at the bottom so you do not go all the way through. These are slits that you will stuff. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and pop them into a baking dish. The chicken is then brushed with a tasty mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and oregano (fresh or dried oregano works). Place the vegetable slices into the slits. You may not need all the cut vegetables, but that's OK! You will cook these in the baking dish beside the stuffed chicken. Sprinkle with grated mozzarella and feta cheese, and bake in the oven until the chicken is cooked through. So easy!
Serve this Mediterranean casserole recipe with a fresh garden salad for a complete meal (the vegetables are baked in the chicken!). You could add a side of quinoa, rice or your favorite grain. This casserole is not only delicious, but pretty to look at with all the colorful fruit and vegetables (be sure to snap a photo and share below in the comments section).
Like the hasselback technique of cooking? Try our hasselback potatoes, hasselback chicken with spinach and ricotta, hasselback butternut squash and fanned scalloped potatoes.
Cuisine: American / Greek
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 to 45 minutes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 lemons, sliced thin
- 2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 cup crumbled feta
Here's how to make it:
- Make about six slits in each chicken breast, being careful not to cut all the way through. Season with salt and pepper and place into an oiled casserole dish.
- Stir together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and oregano in a bowl. Brush the mixture all over the chicken breasts (let it run down into the slits).
- Stuff the slits in the chicken with the zucchini, tomatoes, onion and lemon slices. Put any remaining vegetables around the chicken in the dish.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella and feta cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Baking Dishes $8 & Up
Dried Oregano $3 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.