Teh Tarik Recipe (Hot Milk Tea): Malaysian Pulled Tea Has Just 3 Ingredients by Ann Marie Patitucci
Teh Tarik is a preparation of milk tea popular in Southeast Asian countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore. It is known as the national drink of Malaysia and is recognized by the government as an important part of Malaysia food heritage. Teh Tarik is also the official drink for football fans in Malaysia. A good popularity comparison would probably be the popularity of beer to U.S. sports fans.
Teh Tarik translates to “pulled tea.” Teh means tea and Tarik means "pulled." The name refers to the practice of “pulling” the tea by pouring it from above, from one mug to another, until the slightly sweet tea becomes rich, creamy and frothy. Teh Tarik is consumed throughout the day, from breakfast to dinner, and is typically served hot in a glass cup. There are different ways to steep the tea leaves. For this recipe, a tea infuser was used. To stick with tradition, serve Teh Tarik in a glass cup.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 8 minutes
- 3 teaspoons black loose leaf tea (preferably Ceylon)
- 2 teaspoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup water
- pinch of salt (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- Steep the tea in boiling water for around 3 minutes. (If you like your tea on the stronger side, steep it a little longer and add only 1 teaspoon of condensed milk, below.)
- Pour the tea into a mug. Add room temperature sweetened condensed milk. Stir well with a spoon.
- For the pulling of the tea, pour tea from one mug to another. Do this about three to four times (no more than four), carefully increasing the height of the pouring cup each time.
- Taste tea. If you’d like the tea sweeter, add more condensed milk. Add a pinch of salt, if desired, and serve hot.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.