Easy Apple Crisp Recipe: The Quintessential Fall Dessert Recipe by Ann Marie Patitucci
I love apple crisp and crumble. In fact, baked fruit desserts are among my favorite (which says a lot considering my chocolate obsession!). However, I must admit that I only recently learned the difference between crisp and crumble.
It is worth noting that in some countries, the two are synonymous, but in the U.S. and Canada, distinctions are made. An apple crisp topping typically includes oats or nuts. A crumble topping, on the other hand, is made with flour, sugar and butter, and rarely includes nuts or oats. A crumble topping is more like streusel.
If you ask me, both are delicious. Here’s my favorite apple crisp recipe. I think it’s the quintessential fall dessert recipe. Serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 8 medium apples (Granny Smith recommended), peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 stick salted butter, melted
Here’s how to make it:
- For the apples, arrange the apple slices in a generously buttered 13x9-inch baking dish in an even layer. In a bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Sprinkle the mixture over the apples, then pour 1/2 cup water over top (if you use an apple with more moisture, you may choose to reduce the amount of water or skip it).
- For the topping, in a separate bowl, mix the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and a pinch of salt. Stir the flour mixture while slowly adding in the melted butter. Sprinkle the topping in an even layer over the apples.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven until the topping is golden brown and slightly crisp, about 40 to 50 minutes (ovens vary).
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
13x9-inch Baking Pans $8 & Up
Quick Oats $2 & Up
Sugar $2 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
Ground Cinnamon $3 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Baking Soda $1 & Up
Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Kosher Salt $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.