Marvelous Masala Rice Recipe: The Perfect 20-Minute Indian Side Dish by 30Seconds Food
Masala rice is a highly spiced Indian rice that's often served with korma, tikka masala, curry dishes and chicken. Healthy turmeric gives the rice its yellow hue. This rice recipe is definitely worth adding to your spice rack for.
Aromatic basmati rice or jasmine rice are the best choices for this Indian recipe. Make the rice the day before and chill it in the refrigerator overnight. Masala rice can be served hot or at room temperature.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 4 cups cooked cold jasmine rice or basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ground cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- yogurt and lime wedges, for serving (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Put the rice into a bowl. Sprinkle with the sugar, stir and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Cook, stirring, about 10 seconds. Add the onion and serrano. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the coriander, turmeric and cayenne, to taste. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Put the rice into the skillet. Add the kosher salt and mix well. Add the water, cover and cook about 3 minutes.
- Remove the rice from the heat and stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Serve with yogurt and lime wedges.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Jasmine Rice $2 & Up
Basmati Rice $2 & Up
Mustard Seeds $4 & Up
Cumin Seeds $4 & Up
Turmeric $3 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Coriander $4 & Up
Cayenne $3 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Kosher Salt $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.