Filet Mignon Recipe With Mushroom Wine Sauce: Dinner for Two Just Got an Upgrade by Ann Marie Patitucci
Every mouthful is bursting with flavor. This steak recipe is also versatile. See below for two different options for how to cook the filets. Serve this delicious dinner with a vegetable, salad and potatoes or rice (or your favorite side dishes).
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 filet mignon (about 8 ounces each), cut about 1-inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large shallot (or green onion), chopped
- 12 ounces sliced fresh white mushrooms
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon or other dry red drinkable wine (not cooking wine)
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
Here's how to make it:
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the filets with salt and pepper, carefully place them into the heated skillet and sear until well browned on each side, about 2 minutes per side. (Note: if someone in your home loves to grill, as my hubby does, you/they can grill the steaks instead of pan-searing them.) Remove the steaks and place onto a platter, cover (tent) with aluminum foil and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and melt the butter. Cook and stir the shallot (or green onions) and mushrooms in the butter about 5 minutes, or until the shallots are translucent and the mushroom liquid begins to seep out. Add wine, beef broth and thyme. Stir. Simmer the sauce until it begins to reduce, about 6 to 10 minutes.
- Return the steaks to the sauce and simmer briefly until they start to become firm and are reddish-pink and juicy in the center (medium-rare), about 2 to 4 minutes per side (a thermometer inserted into the center should read 130 degrees F). Remove the steaks and place on serving dishes.
- In a small bowl, stir the cornstarch and water until it forms a smooth paste. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the pan sauce and cook and stir until thickened, about 30 seconds. Top each filet with mushroom-wine sauce.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.