Moravian Yeast Rolls Recipe: Light, Airy, No-Knead Dinner Rolls by Melissa Vickers
I’ve heard “Moravian” before but never really knew who or what that referred to. It was a protestant religion that started in the Czech Republic around 1415, and eventually landed in Winston-Salem, N.C. Apparently they were good cooks, if this bread recipe is any indication.
This Moravian yeast roll recipe is light and airy, and easy to make. No real kneading involved, just some time. And much of the time involved can be overnight, with the actual prep time minimal. Store rolls in airtight container or bag. They can be frozen for up to three months. Microwave for a few seconds to warm rolls, or cook in 350-degree F oven for 10 minutes or until warmed through.
Prep Time: 10 minutes of active time and 4 hours of rising time
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours and 20 minutes
- 1 cup hot water (120 to 130 degrees F)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening or butter-flavor Crisco
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 package dry granular yeast (or 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 - 4 cups flour (bread flour or all-purpose flour)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Here’s how to make it:
- Combine hot water, salt, shortening and sugar in stand mixer (although you can mix this by hand). Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- In a separate small bowl, dissolve yeast in 2 tablespoons warm water. Add to cooled mixture. Add beaten egg, and enough flour to make a soft dough ( about 3 to 4 cups). Cover and refrigerate dough several hours or overnight.
- Briefly knead dough by turning it over onto itself several times to smooth it out. Use kitchen shears or sharp knife to divide into 16 equal pieces. Shape into 16 round dough balls and place evenly spaced in greased 13x9-inch baking pan. Let rise 1 to 2 hours or until almost doubled in bulk. Rising in a warm oven cuts rising time in half.
- Gently brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter just before baking. Bake in 400-degree F preheated oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Shortening $3 & Up
Butter Flavor Crisco $3 & Up
All-Purpose Flour $2 & Up
Yeast $4 & Up
Bread Flour $3 & Up
Sugar $2 & Up
Stand Mixers $50 & Up
13x9-inch Baking Pans $8 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.