Pesto alla Trapanese Recipe: An Old-School Pesto Recipe From Sicily by Donna John
With an abundance of basil and mint growing in my yard, finding new ways to use it has become a slight obsession. Pesto is a favorite of mine, so when I found this interesting Sicilian pesto recipe I grabbed my kitchen shears and headed outside to harvest some basil and mint.
Pesto alla trapanese is a pesto from Sicily made with almonds, garlic, basil, a little fresh mint, lots of olive oil and Pecorino Romano and/or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. You can make this easy pesto recipe in a mortar and pestle or in a food processor. Mix it with your favorite pasta, grab a fork and enjoy.
Cuisine: Italian (Sicilian)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 cloves garlic
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup toasted blanched almonds
- 35 large basil leaves
- 2 - 4 mint leaves (optional)
- 3 1/2 ounces grated Pecorino Romano and/or Parmigiano-Reggiano (a combination of the two works well)
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (more, as needed)
- 1 pound (16 ounces) pasta
Here's how to make it:
- To make in a mortar and pestle: Put the garlic and a pinch of salt into the mortar and pestle. Smash to form a paste. Add the almonds and continue to crush into a paste. Add the basil and mint, if using, and continue pounding until you have small bits. Add the cheese and pound. Add the tomatoes and olive oil. Crush until you have a chunky paste. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To make in a food processor: Pulse and garlic and almonds together until rough chopped. Add the basil and mint, if using, cheese, tomatoes and olive oil. Process the ingredients to form a chunky paste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put 2/3 of the sauce into a large serving bowl.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions for al dente. With tongs, put the cooked pasta into the serving bowl. Toss together, adding some olive oil and pasta water (a little at a time) until a creamy sauce forms. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. (If adding a cooked protein or vegetable, stir in now.)
- To serve, spoon the reserved pesto over the top and sprinkle with more grated cheese.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.