Zuppa Toscana Recipe With Bacon (Bacon Makes This Italian Soup Recipe Even Better) by 30Seconds Food
Who doesn't love Zuppa Toscana? With Italian sausage, kale and potatoes, this creamy soup recipe is a winner. But what if you added bacon to it? Yes, bacon. We just made everything better, didn't we?
This version of the Italian soup is made with bacon, Italian sausage, onion, garlic, chicken broth, potatoes, heavy whipping cream and kale. You can use red potatoes, white potatoes or even Yukon Gold potatoes when cooking this recipe. The bacon adds a depth of flavor and saltiness that elevates it and makes the creamy soup something you'll think about days after eating it.
This easy Zuppa Toscana soup recipe with bacon is a quick, hearty and absolutely fabulous dinner or lunch. Serve bowls of piping hot soup with hot bread and a salad.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 6 strips thick bacon, chopped (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- 1 pound Italian sausage, bulk or removed from casings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 4 large red or white potatoes, diced
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 - 3 cups chopped kale
Here's how to make it:
- Put the bacon into a large soup pot and cook about 5 minutes or until it renders its fat and begins to brown. Add the crumbled sausage to the pot and continue to cook until sausage and bacon are browned and beginning to get crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, water, potatoes and crushed red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the kale and cream. Cook for another 5 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with additional bacon, if desired.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soup Pots $10 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.