Quick Asian Cole Slaw Recipe Is Crispy, Crunchy, Sweet & Savory by Melissa Vickers
I love salads that combine sweet and savory, crispy and crunchy – the more variety in taste and texture the better! Here’s a quick Asian slaw salad recipe that combines all four of those taste and textures.
You can shred your own vegetables or you can take the easy road and just buy a package of broccoli slaw. The toasted noodles and almonds give it that crunchiness. This easy salad would be good with dried cranberries, too, to add even more sweetness.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 bag (16 ounces) broccoli slaw with broccoli, cabbage and carrots OR 2 cups purple cabbage, shredded fine, 1 cup grated carrot and 1/2 a medium head green cabbage, shredded fine (about 4 to 5 cups)
- 2 flavor packets from chicken ramen noodles
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- noodles from 2 packages chicken-flavored ramen noodles, crushed
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Here’s how to make it:
- Dump broccoli slaw (or separate slaw ingredients) into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a salad dressing shaker or small glass jar. Shake well until ingredients are well mixed. Set aside.
- To make topping, melt butter in a skillet and add noodles, almonds, sunflower seeds and brown sugar. Stir and mix until lightly toasted. Don’t burn! Let cool and set aside.
- Just before serving, shake the dressing again, pour it over the veggies and toss. Add crunchy topping and mix into the slaw.
Note: The topping won’t stay crunchy in the refrigerator, so unless you’ll eat the whole salad at one meal, serve the topping on the side. The slaw mixture itself keeps well in the refrigerator.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Chicken Ramen $1 & Up
Almonds $4 & Up
Sunflower Seeds $2 & Up
Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Soy Sauce $2 & Up
Dried Cranberries $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.