Sweet & Smoky Glazed Tofu "Ham" Recipe: A Tasty Vegan Recipe for Christmas by Meagan McLucas
Needing a vegan protein to take to a family Christmas get-together, I decided on this sweet and smoky tofu ham recipe from The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Chef Moskowitz describes the vegan recipe as "sweet and smoky and elegant in a '70s kind of way, with notes of orange and maple."
This sweet and smoky tofu recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. The whole family enjoyed this tofu ham, even the meat-eaters. As Chef Moskowitz says, there's no need to "put an adorable pig at the center of your table!"
Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 4 hours to marinate
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours
Total Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes plus 4 hours to marinate
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 package (14 ounces) extra-firm tofu, pressed
- 8 thin orange slices
- 20 - 25 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons smooth apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon whiskey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked salt (or sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Here's how to make it:
- To make the tofu, whisk together to marinade ingredients in a shallow dish. Place the tofu in the marinade, turn to coat and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Arrange the orange slices in an even layer in the center of a parchment paper-covered 13x9-inch baking pan. Place the marinated tofu block on the bed or oranges.
- Carefully score the top of the tofu with a sharp knife in a diamond patter, about 1/4-inch deep. Press the whole cloves into the intersection cuts. Bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven for 1 hour.
- While the tofu bakes, combine all the glaze ingredients in a small saucepot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until reduced by half and thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- After the tofu has baked 1 hour, remove it from the oven and pour the glaze evenly over the top. Bake for an additional 30 minutes. Allow tofu to cool for about 5 minutes before slicing.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.