Vegan Couscous Recipe With Chickpeas, Vegetables & Roasted Red Pepper Sauce by Melissa Vickers
Here’s a dish inspired by an O’Charley’s side dish we had a few years ago. I figured I could make a reasonable facsimile thereof, and I was right. The easy vegetarian recipe is a combination of fresh vegetables, a roasted red pepper sauce and orzo.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 jar (16 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (more to taste)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- small bunch of parsley (optional)
- 1 package (8 ounces) mushrooms, cut into small chunks
- 1 bag (10 ounces) “Super Blend” salad mix (brussels sprouts, Napa cabbage, kohlrabi, broccoli, carrots, kale)
- 1 can (14 ounces) chickpeas (garbanzos), drained
- 1 small box (5.8 ounces) couscous, prepared according to package directions (I use Near East)
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce (if the mixture is too thick), optional
Here’s how to make it:
- Process almonds in small blender or food processor. Add peppers, oil, garlic, salt, lemon juice and parsley. Blend until semi-thick and textured. (Add more almonds if you want it thicker.)
- Sauté mushrooms, and then add in veggies and chickpeas. Cook until crisp-tender.
- Add in pepper sauce and couscous. Add spaghetti sauce if it seems too thick.
- The sauce is freezable and can be kept in the refrigerator for a week.
- Use the sauce (without the added vegetables) for other veggies, meats, pizza, potatoes, etc.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Roasted Red Peppers $3 & Up
Almonds $4 & Up
Chickpeas $2 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Spaghetti Sauce $2 & Up
Couscous $3 & Up
Orzo $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.