Lemon Poppy Seed Amish Friendship Bread Recipe Is a Lusciously Lemon Take on the Classic by Ann Marie G.H. Patitucci
Two of my favorite ingredients are lemon and poppy seeds. I love just about everything lemon – lemonade, lemon shortbread, lemon bars, lemon cheesecake, lemon meringue pie, lemon pudding, vodka with lemonade(!), lemon squeezed in my water and soda. I think lemon makes most things better.
My love of poppy seeds comes from my childhood – poppy seed bagels and poppy pastries from a local bakery, to be precise. Lemon poppy seed bread is, then, the perfect dessert bread for me.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Servings: Makes 2 loaves
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 cup poppy seeds
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or lemon extract for even more lemon flavor)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Here's how to make it:
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, poppy seeds and lemon pudding mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the Amish starter, eggs, milk, applesauce, vanilla and vegetable oil. Add to dry ingredients and blend until just combined.
- Spray two 9-inch loaf pans with cooking spray and pour half the batter into each. Bake in a preheated 325-degree F oven for 1 hour. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pans and serve.
Notes: Feel free to use mini loaf pans as an alternative. These bread loaves, at any size, make great gifts! To make muffins, pour 3 tablespoons into greased muffin tins and reduce cooking time to approximately 23 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Loaf Pans $8 & Up
Poppy Seeds $3 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
Sugar $2 & Up
Baking Soda $1 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Ground Cinnamon $2 & Up
Instant Lemon Pudding Mix $2 & Up
Vanilla $4 & Up
Applesauce $2 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Lemon Extract $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.