Grandma's Old-fashioned Cookies Recipe: A Cut-Out Cookie Recipe From Back in the Day by Donna John
My grandma loved to bake. From pies to cobblers to cakes to cookies, everything she baked was delicious. This is her recipe for old-fashioned cookie dough for cut-out cookies. Unlike your typical cut-out cookie dough, this one doesn't have any butter in it and calls for buttermilk. This cookie recipe is easy to make and bake.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- 1 cup solid all-vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in the buttermilk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Here's how to make it:
- Cream the shortening and sugar together. Add the eggs, beating well after each. Stir in the buttermilk, flour, baking powder and vanilla. Mix well.
- Roll the dough out as thick or thin as desired. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size and thickness of cookies. Cookies may be iced or decorated as desired after cooling.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Rolling Pins $7 & Up
Vegetable Shortening $3 & Up
Sugar $2 & Up
Baking Soda $1 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
Vanilla Extract $4 & Up
Cookie Cutters $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.