Easy Kentucky Burgoo Recipe: This Kentucky Stew Recipe Likes to Shake Things Up by 30Seconds Food
Kentucky burgoo is a stew made with a combination of meats and vegetables. Chicken, beef, venison and pork are common, in different combinations, and common vegetables used are lima beans or butter beans, corn, okra, tomatoes, potatoes and cabbage. You can switch up the vegetables and make your own delicious variation of this stew recipe. This easy Kentucky burgoo recipe has chicken and beef.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 to 4 hours
Total Time: 3 to 4 hours
- 1 chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
- 12 small red or white potatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 1 can (14 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
Here's how to make it:
- Put the chicken and stew meat into a large stock pot. Add both broths and the water. Season liberally with black pepper and add salt, to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook until meats are tender and cooked through, about 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the chicken. Cool slightly then take the chicken meat off the bones. Return the meat to the pot.
- Add the diced tomatoes, puree, potatoes, bell pepper, onions, cabbage, carrots and butter beans. Add Worcestershire sauce, to taste. Cook on low heat for 2 to 3 hours, stirring often. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed, before serving.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Stock Pots $10 & Up
Diced Tomatoes $2 & Up
Tomato Puree $2 & Up
Butter Beans $2 & Up
Worcestershire Sauce $2 & Up
Beef Broth $2 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.