Quick & Healthy Succotash Recipe: A Classic Southern Vegetable Side Dish Recipe by Donna John
Vegetables Side Dishes
2 years ago
Add to collection
Lima beans just don't get much respect. Let’s show this bean a little love by making this easy succotash recipe. You’ll be glad you did.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 2 cups lima beans
- 2 onions, chopped (divided)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 - 3 slices bacon
- 3 cups corn
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or green part of a green onion
Here’s how to make it:
- Put the lima beans, 1 of the chopped onions and the garlic into a pot, cover with water and simmer about 20 minutes or until lima beans are tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon and drain on a paper towel.
- To the bacon fat, add the remaining chopped onion and cook about 3-5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add in the corn and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, cooked lima beans and reserved cooking liquid. Cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Add the butter, red wine vinegar, herbs and crumbled bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible: The New Classic Guide to Delicious Dishes with More Than 300 Recipes $24
Red Wine Vinegar $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.