Warm Up From the Inside Out With This Flavorful 30-Minute Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe by Elizabeth Van Lierde
Want to warm up from the inside out? There may be no better way than with this flavorful chicken enchilada soup recipe. Simple, flavorful soups like this chicken enchilada soup are my jam all year long. I love a dish that is hearty, but still healthy. This enchilada soup recipe also lets me have dinner on the table in just about half an hour – this soup truly does it all!
Here's your shopping list for this Mexican-inspired, belly-warming soup: olive oil, onion, green bell pepper, garlic, cumin, chili powder, kosher salt, green chiles, green enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, shredded chicken, beans and chicken broth. The optional toppings include avocado, tortilla chips, cojita cheese, sour cream and cilantro.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 - 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 can (4 ounces) green chiles
- 12 ounces green enchilada sauce
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (I used rotisserie)
- 1 can (14 ounces) beans (such as cannellini, kidney or navy beans), drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 ripe, fresh California avocados (1/4 avocado per bowl)
- crumbled tortilla chips
- crumbled cotija cheese
- chopped cilantro
- sour cream
- You could use navy beans, cannellini beans, kidney beans or even black beans, depending on your preference.
- If you want this soup to be really thick and creamy, add in 1 cup of heavy cream at the end. This will give the soup more of a creamier base, if desired.
- Top this hearty soup with shredded cheese, fresh chopped cilantro, sour cream, avocado, crumbled cojita cheese or even crushed tortilla chips.
- Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The soup also can be frozen.
Here's how to make it:
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add in the onion and bell pepper and cook until onion is translucent and bell pepper is tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in ground cumin, chili powder and salt. Stir mixture together and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- To the stock pot, add green chiles, enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, shredded chicken, white beans and chicken broth. Bring mixture to a simmer and then cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes to marry the flavors together.
- Serve with fresh avocado slices, crumbled tortilla chips, cotija cheese, sour cream and/or fresh cilantro.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 6.6g
Saturated Fat: 1.1g
Total Carbohydrate: 36.5g
Dietary Fiber: 8.6g
Total Sugars: 3.7g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.