Easy Chicken Avocado Lime Soup Is Ready in Under 30 Minutes by Sarah Griffin
A tangy broth packed with Mexican flavors and loaded with shredded chicken and creamy avocado that's ready in less than 30 minutes? Sounds far-fetched, but in this case, it's true. Your week just got a little better, didn't it?
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green onions, including whites (mince the whites)
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced (leave seeds if you want a spicier soup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cans (14.5 ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 medium avocados, peeled, cored and diced
- tortilla chips, Monterey jack cheese, sour cream, for serving (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the green onions and jalapenos and saute until tender, about 2 minutes, adding garlic during last 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, cumin and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the chicken breasts. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken has cooked through, 10-15 minutes (cook time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts).
- Reduce burner to warm heat. Remove the chicken from pan and let rest on a cutting board 5 minutes, then shred chicken and return to soup.
- Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Add avocados to soup just before serving. (If you don't plan on serving the soup right away, I would recommend adding the avocados to each bowl individually, about half an avocado per serving.) Serve with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream, if desired.